Life After the Second Line

Thursday, February 15, 2007

It's Tough to Post When You Can't Find Your Blog

Yes, that's right. I haven't posted in a month or so because my blog disappeared. I've been able to see it via links from other people's blogs, but when I tried to access my Blogger dashboard, it was nowhere to be found. This was, somehow, the result of my bungled attempt to convert to the new version of Blogger. I don't know how I screwed it up, but anyway, yesterday a much more computer savvy friend was able to help me out and locate the damn thing again. So anyway -- I'm back!

There hasn't been a whole lot to update lately, though, even if I had been able to find my blog. Things are, thankfully, moving along perfectly normally at the moment -- knock on wood that I didn't just jinx myself by writing that! I hit 24 weeks yesterday, so Baby Boy is now officially on the outer edges of viability. I know that's kind of a morbid thought, but somehow I can't help myself. I did the same thing while pregnant with P & E. Once I got past 22 or 23 weeks, I counted every week in terms of their increased odds of survival should they happen to be born that very day. Once I got to 28 weeks, I really felt like I had it made. I had no concept at that time of just how difficult the beginning of their lives would be arriving at 33 weeks the way they did, so in hindsight, I shudder to think about how relaxed I started feeling far, far too early. I know better this time around, so while another few weeks might give BB a very good chance at life, I really want to keep him on the inside for much, MUCH longer than that. Say another 12 or 13 weeks, bare minimum.

I'm feeling really good about the fact that I am not yet on blood pressure meds. It's been ok here at home all along, and at my OB appt. last week, for the first time, it was ok in the office, too! Not *great* mind you, but ok, and that's all I'm after. Here's how I see it: last time, I started meds. at 21 weeks. They worked well for between 9 and 10 weeks before I was hospitalized. I made it another two weeks in there under constant surveillance before P & E had to be delivered, so that's about 11.5 weeks total from beginning meds. to delivery. If that all happened again, the exact same way (and surely it wouldn't be any worse, since I'm expecting a singleton this time, right?) even if I started meds. tomorrow, BB might arrive at around 36 weeks. Not bad. Not bad at all. I realize, of course, that anything can happen and there is no guarantee that the meds. would work as well or as long this time, blah blah blah. But this makes me feel better, so I'm going with it.

We're trying to prepare P & E for the upcoming arrival of their new baby brother, but I really don't think they get it at all. We've asked them what we should name him, and P, without, I suspect, understanding a word we said, replied, "BobBob." So that's what we've been calling him around here, and when we ask P & E where BobBob is, they will point at my belly or come over and rub it. (Once, in a tooth achingly cute display after being asked that question, P walked over to me, put her head on my belly, and said, "Aaaaaaw.") But really, how can you prepare a couple of 21 month olds for the arrival of a brand new baby? I'm thinking it's going to be one of those things we just have to play by ear once he's here. In any case, I'm very thankful that they have each other. They've never had me or G to themselves, so they are already used to sharing our attention, for one. And also, I figure even when we are busy with the new little guy, they will still both have their partners in crime to keep themselves entertained. (Though we will, of course, make every attempt to ensure that their quality time with us isn't *too* disrupted by the littler one).

So -- anybody have any good name suggestions?

3 Comments:

  • I'm all for a good name discussion! Give me some ideas as to what you are thinking and I would love to come up with some name ideas for you! :)

    By Blogger Jamie, at 2:41 PM  

  • ha ha ha ha ha
    Think I'm delurking here... ;-)

    We're not sure if our 21 month old fully understands the impending arrival of his little brother, either. He does say 'baby!' a lot and pats my belly, though...

    As for Boy Names, so so tough as you're probably discovering. Although I think we may finally have a winner ... I did post on the agony of boys' names just last month if you're interested...

    http://thereeweare.blogspot.com/2007/01/agony-of-finding-right-name.html

    By Blogger ewe are here, at 8:09 AM  

  • so glad to see you are back! Keep the updates coming!!

    By Blogger Sarah, at 10:11 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home