Life After the Second Line

Thursday, January 04, 2007

Fun at the Peri's Office

Today's appointment w/ the peri went surprisingly well. In fact, I may be in love with that man. He told me my risk of having a preeclampsia recurrence were only about 3 to 5%. 3 to 5%! Yeah, yeah, he was quick to add that if I happen to fall into that 3%, the numbers won't mean shit, but for the moment, that is excellent news. He went on to explain that, last time, I had several factors working against me. First, and most signifcantly, I was having twins. Second, it was an IVF pregnancy. (Side note: did anyone else know that IVF increases one's odds of pre-e? I most certainly did not. And they have no idea why that is the case). Third, I was a first-time mom. He said pre-e is typically a first timer's problem. "Ah, yes," I said, "but I've read numerous studies showing that a woman who develops pre-e the first time is more likely than others to get it in subsequent pgs, too!" He said that was true, which is why my risk was still in the 3 to 5% range rather than the 1% range he would quote to someone who had not had the problem the first time around. Still -- I'll take 3 to 5% odds anytime.

Now, he did go onto to mention that my blood pressure, thusfar, has not been ideal. (No shit). However, it has not reached the point at which meds. are required. If that happens, my odds of developing pre-e again will rise to 20%. Not great, but that's still an 80% chance that it won't happen. Look at me, being a glass-is-half-full girl!

That was basically that. Overall, it seems like I should have a much easier time of it this time around since there is only one baby, and said baby was not the result of a fertility procedure. He asked us about that, of course, and when we told him this baby was a surprise, he said, "Well, infertility is not sterility!" Don't you think that would make a good bumper sticker?

Next up: big u/s next Tuesday. FINALLY!

1 Comments:

  • Great news all around :-) Glad to hear that things are going so well (and hope they stay that way for the rest of this wonderful ride).

    And wow--already big u/s time?! Man, how it flies by. Can't wait to hear how it goes.

    Have a great week in the meantime.

    By Blogger Dee, at 7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home