Life After the Second Line

Monday, March 27, 2006

Milestones

P & E's first birthday is coming up. That blows my mind. To underscore the fact that they are big kids now, they have officially outgrown their infant seats and moved on to their big kid side-by-side stroller. Don't get me wrong; they're still pretty small for being eleven months old. E tips the scale at 17 pouds, while P weighs in at 19.5 (the poor girl is already destined to have her mom's "svelte" thighs, it seems). Still. That makes E nearly six times his birth weight, and P nearly five times hers. It's amazing. And difficult, now, to remember just how small they really were. When they were born, the only way to convey to people who lived too far away from the hospital to come visit how truly tiny they were was to compare them to ourselves. (i.e., when Peyton grabs my finger, her entire hand only covers the first joint on my index finger). We're thankful now for having done that, because now it's the only way we can remember it ourselves.

Anyway, about the first birthday. We're not really sure what our obligation is here, partywise. We assumed, since they won't remember a thing about it, that it was probably meant to be just an immediate family thing. But then everyone started asking us about the party, and saying things like, "They'll only have one first birthday, so you have to do it up right!" Well, shit. What does that mean? Am I supposed to invite the neighborhood? Should there be food and drinks? Is plain old cake and ice cream not enough? I better figure this stuff out soon. I've got less than a month.

Less than a month. Unbelievable.

2 Comments:

  • I hear you! I've still got a little under 3 months to go and I've already started planning. Mind you, it is more for the family since she won't remember anything but it won't be a huge affair. We rented a pavilion at a local beachfront park for the day and will have a cookout and cake. Not too highbrow or expensive but guaranteeing a nice day in the sun (crossing fingers for good weather!) with the people who mean the most to us.

    Whatever you decide to do, small, mid-sized, large, or just the four of you, it'll be a very special day indeed.

    And good luck whatever you do.

    By Blogger Dee, at 2:02 PM  

  • With mine, I do small, family-only parties until the kid asks for more. :-) But then, I hate large crowds and noise. The best advice I can give you is to plan the party for a time of day when your kids are normally awake and in a good mood, even if it's not a typical party time. For example, I would ony do a party for my son from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m. because at 11:30 he's hungry for lunch, at 12 he naps, and he sleeps till 3 or 4, and he's not always cheery after he wakes up.

    By Blogger WriterGrrl, at 5:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home