Life After the Second Line

Sunday, January 22, 2006

A new record!

Ok, this -- this -- is why I shut down my old blog. It has been a ridiculous, unheard of, absolutely asinine (I just learned how to spell that today!) amount of time since my last post. More than two months! Here at Blogger, that's no big deal. No harm done. On Typepad, however, these two plus months of silence would have cost me $10.00. Granted, that's not an enormous amount of money, but when you're living on one salary now and trying to feed two hungry new mouths, every little bit counts.

Where do I even begin? P & E have changed sooooo much since I last wrote. I don't know exactly how big they are, but I'll find out on Wednesday at their nine month appointment. Nine month appointment! Where has the time gone? Well, suffice it to say, they're big. Relatively big, anyway. No, not as big as your typical nine month olds, most likely, but big nonetheless. We were just looking at their newborn pictures today, all stuck full of needles and tubes in the NICU, and it's hard to believe they're the same babies.

They're both army crawling, and E can pull up. And let me tell you, pull up he does. On anything and everything he can get his little hands on. Nothing is safe. It's just that he hasn't quite mastered the art of getting back down, so his injury total is mounting by the day. By the hour, even. Tonight he got his first tiny goose egg, having let go of whatever he was holding onto and crashing down onto his ball popper -- headfirst, somehow. After spending sufficient time loving him and simultaneously berating myself for being a bad mom, I distracted him with baby lasagna. Ah, a new delicacy. He loved it! This was our first forray into stage 3 food, and it went off without a hitch. I was scared out of my mind that one or both of them would have a scary choking incident, but they both handled it like little champs. I was so proud. Hell, who am I kidding? I'm always so proud. They went through so much there in the beginning, and now they're 100% healthy, happy, and beautiful on top of it. What's not to be proud of?

The only downside, which I mentioned earlier, is the money issue. Things are tight. Really, really tight. Law school didn't come cheap, but it didn't bother me at the time when I assumed I'd come out with a big, fat salary to pay off all those loans. Problem is, even when I was working, that salary wasn't anywhere near as fat as I thought it would be. It was kind of pathetic, really. And now, of course, there's nothing. My poor, dear, husband is working his ass off, and we're getting by, but just barely. I live in constant fear of any sort of emergency that might arise. I don't have the slightest idea how we would handle it. For now, I just hope for the best and am thankful every night that another day has passed without anything bad happening. All that being said, though, I wouldn't trade one minute I've spent with my babies. I know how corny it sounds, but it has been and continues to be priceless.

Besides, even if I was working, do you have any idea how much it would cost to put two infants in daycare?

1 Comments:

  • Not that you're asking, but I'll go ahead and say it: find a way to use your talents and work from home. What kind of law did you practice? Can you offer a service that people like you might need? Say, preparing wills for new parents? Helping them file the various paperwork that comes with that territory? It's a way to bring in extra cash and to give yourself an identity outside of "Mom" (which, trust me, you will eventually likely crave).

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home