Life After the Second Line

Saturday, October 08, 2005

Lame

That's what I'd call a supposed "blogger" who has let nearly a month go by without so much as one solitary new post. There's not even a good excuse for it. I'm lazy, plain and simple, and I cannot so much as breathe a word about my lack of readers/commenters, because who the hell would even bother to keep checking a blog updated as infrequently as this one? Argh.

Well. I feel like I've been so busy and there's been so much going on, but I guess most of it has been that day to day stuff that just keeps me running in circles. The babies are doing great, although I should report that we've all officially survived our first illness and non-well baby doctor visit. Just a head cold, he said, and the only one who required antibiotics was me. I was dismayed to learn, though, that the babies do not qualify for the RSV vaccine. Seriously -- what the fuck? They were born 7 weeks early, weighed in at less than 3 and 4 lbs., and still weigh less than 13. P was on oxygen for 2 1/2 months. And NONE of that qualifies them? Apparently not. The doctor says I should be happy. "They're doing too well!" he says. Yes, and I'd like to KEEP them doing well, thank you very much! Unfortunately there's not a damn thing I can do about it though, so it seems they will be vaccineless after all.

Also, I got them baptized last weekend. This was something I'd been putting off, primarily because I had no earthly idea who to ask to be their godparents. Finally got that problem solved, so about a month ago I called the church to schedule it. I requested October 2, but then I said, "I am flexible on the date; I'd just like to do it when Pastor W is available." (There are three pastors at our church, so if you don't specify who you want, it's a roll of the dice). Pastor W handled G and I's premarital counseling, officiated at our wedding, baptized G, and taught the class we had to take to join the church. He is wonderful. We've had no dealings with the other two pastors whatsoever. Anyway, the person I spoke to said that Pastor W would, in fact, be preaching that day, but he would not be at the church's main location. Rather, he would be at the outreach location at the community college across town. Did we mind the baptism taking place there? "No, that's totally fine," I said. "In fact, that is preferable for us because that's where we usually go."

So last Sunday rolls around. The four of us, along with the FOURTEEN other people in five different cars, haul our happy asses to the community college and sit down. The babies are breathtakingly adorable in their white christening outfits. We sing a couple opening songs, shake hands with everyone around us, and then the pastor walks out. Only it's not Pastor W. It's Pastor T. And I only know that it's Pastor T because 1) he has begun preaching; and 2) I asked P & E's godmother-to-be. I'd only ever seen him once before.

So I'm sitting there thinking, "Huh?" What happened to Pastor W? At first I assume he's sick, and Pastor T is filling in. But then I realize that Pastor T is yammering on and on, and he hasn't once mentioned that there would be a baptism that day. And yet, there it is announced in the church bulletin for all the world to see. I start to get a sinking feeling in my stomach.

Long story cut very, very, very short, it turned out that they were, in fact, expecting us across town at the main church. Waaaaaaay across town, where church had already begun and the three front pews that had been reserved for all of us had since been filled by stragglers. So all 18 of us pile back in our cars and show up there, way beyond late, and have to be squeezed into whatever random spots here, there, and everywhere that the ushers can come up with. By the time we made it up front for the ceremony, I must admit that I was thinking some extremely unholy thoughts. If there's one thing I can't stand, it's looking like a disorganized ass, and though none of this was even remotely my fault, that's exactly what it looked like. Is it a big deal in the grand scheme of things? No. Did the baptism finally get accomplished in spite of it all? Yes. Yet here I sit, 6 days later, still pissy. I need to get over it, I think.

Other than that, though, things have been pretty good around here. Funny how frequently I used to update One Pink Line, where I was generally pissed off, versus this blog, where I'm generally pretty content. G tells me sometimes that I like to bitch -- do you think this means he's right?

1 Comments:

  • Oh no! How awful! I would have been the same way - wanting to explain that it wasn't my fault to help ease the ass-like feeling.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:38 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home