Life After the Second Line

Wednesday, September 14, 2005

Time Flies

Nine days since my last update. Nine days! Where has the time gone? I think a lot of it has to do with how all my days are exactly alike now. Monday is the same as Thursday is the same as Saturday. Which is how I forgot the nurse from the health department was coming out today.

When P & E made their appearance nearly two months early and weighed in at less than 3 and 4 lbs. each, they automatically qualified for certain screening and assistance programs through the county health department. I could've opted out of these, but I figured that would be stupid. Who am I to pass up on anything free? So the nurse came out to see them shortly after P got home from the hospital, when they were just over two months old, and then she called me two weeks ago to set up their four month evaluation. Well, I can't remember to brush my teeth in the morning, let alone a random appointment with a nurse I barely know and haven't seen in two months. So imagine my surprise when the doorbell rang at 2:00 this afternoon as I washed bottles in my pajamas.

There is no way to convey the destruction that was my living room at this point. There were four half empty glasses on the coffee table. One plate of Pop Tart crumbs. Two Boppy pillows in the middle of the floor, and two bouncers sitting side by side facing the ceiling fan in the next room. Five sections of newspaper strewn to hell and back because the dogs had been wrestling on them. A dirty diaper that hadn't made its way to the trash can yet. Not to mention the various rattles, bibs, books, and assorted fun stuff the babies can't make it through the day without. There were maybe four points in the entire room where you could actually see the carpet. The couch? Forget about it.

I apologized profusely. She said it was fine, that she wasn't there to look at my house, but she didn't waste any time in starting to discuss babyproofing the place.

Then it was time for her to evaluate the babies themselves. Keep in mind, these are babies who babble, who scoot, who bat at the toys over their playmat, who watch with interest anything or anyone who moves. Not today though. Alas, today they were content to lie still and stare straight ahead, ignoring the rattle, the bell, my voice, her voice, the dogs barking, everything. And did I mention the lying still? These are the kids (well, one kid anyway) who scooted off the couch more than a month ago. Almost two months ago, in fact. Today? Scooting? Nah. Today I guess they were playing, "Let's see who can do the best mummy impersonation!" And on and on it went.

Finally, as I was losing all hope, we had an idea. The nurse headed off into another room, leaving me alone with P & E. She was peeking around the corner, but they couldn't see her. Wouldn't you know it? They both came back to life and acted like their usual, happy, rowdy selves. I was so relieved. She said, from what she could see, they appeared to be right on target. Right on target for 3 month olds, that is -- they're not at the same place most nearly 5 month olds would be -- but right on target nonetheless. They're also getting very, very big. 11 lbs. 3 oz. and 11 lbs. 11 oz. That is a 200% size increase for P since birth and a more than 300% increase for E.

I'll admit it. By the time she left, I was very, very proud.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home