Life After the Second Line

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Update, already?

Finally, a new record I can be proud of. Only two days since my last post -- I'm hoping this is the start of something good.

Today was P & E's nine month appointment. The doctor pronounced them both "excellent." Doesn't get any better than that, does it? They're both still on the small side, with E not being on any chart at all except for head size (5th percentile) and P hanging out at the 20th and 25th for head size and weight, respectively. (Nothing doing for height yet, apparently, but that probably has more to do with being my daughter than with being a preemie). Anyway, after all the weighing and measuring was done, the kids got one shot and were sent on their merry way with instructions to come back at one year. Wow -- one year. When I think back on how long a year felt when we were trying to get pregnant, and how quickly 3/4 of a year has passed since they arrived, it's impossible to believe that time is moving at the same speed as ever. Back then, every month was an eternity. Now, two months go by without me even having time to update this blog.

On another subject, I was very excited to have a comment on my last post. Visitors here are rare (that'll happen when you're as lazy a blogger as I am) and comments are even more so. Anyway, I appreciated the suggestion that maybe I could find some way to practice law from home. I did primarily estate planning and family law before I quit to come home, so I probably would be able to do some work drafting wills and such if I were so inclined. But here's the problem: if I want to practice law, I need to keep malpractice insurance. It doesn't come cheap. I just don't know if I'd even have enough business to pay my premiums in the beginning. And I think I'd also be concerned about getting things done in any sort of timely fashion. P & E keep me so busy, especially with my husband working such long hours, that I'm not sure how quickly I could realistically get things together for my prospective clients. Last but not least, there is the tiny detail that I didn't much like practicing law when I was doing it. Nonetheless, it's still comforting to remember that it's something I could do if I absolutely had to for us to make ends meet.

I do think, once in a while, that it would be nice to have something to do besides take care of P & E. Especially on nights like tonight, when I get into a fight with my husband and he references me spending "his" money. There is something about being entirely dependent on someone else, even a husband I've been with for more than a decade, that is unsettling. I guess I'm just still undecided at this point about what I should do -- if anything -- to change the situation.

2 Comments:

  • Heather- I still read you, even if you post erratically.

    I relate to issues re: being financially dependent. I do work part-time from home as a consultant so I get some $$ coming in, but not enough to pay the mortgage.

    What about some type of consulting where you aren't practicing but using your skills? Or what about being an adjunct professor somewhere? I know another blogger who's a lawyer and home with her son- she does some part-time legal work. I could put you in touch with her if you want to kick some ideas around.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:02 AM  

  • Oh, I'm so glad you liked the comment! I was nervous about leaving it, didn't want to be sticking my foot in where it wouldn't be appreciated. For me, the difference between writing for a living in someone else's office, when he made the majority of the money for the work that I did, and writing from the comfort of MY COUCH and racing outside daily to check the mailbox for checks -- well, really, there's no comparison. So you might find that when you're doing lawyerly stuff from home and picking your own clients and stuff -- maybe it's better. I'd suggest, when you feel ready, putting out feelers at a mommy and me type thing or post a sign at a local baby gym type place, and see what kind of response you get. You might also consider calling your old employer and ask if they could use you on an occasional contract basis. Or not, depending on your relationship with them. I NEVER NEVER went back to my old boss after I had my first kid, but that's because I tend to not just burn my bridges, I actually set the whole darn area on fire and run for cover. This is why I *have* to freelance. :-) And now I can comment under an actual Blogger identity. How exciting.

    By Blogger WriterGrrl, at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home